My Passions

My passions are a wide array of things. I’ve always had a “passion for fashion”. This passion lead me into my undergraduate degree, but ultimately wasn’t the career path I chose to carry out. After I became a teacher, I developed a huge passion for giving back and doing random acts of kindness. This started with my first school I taught at. During the holidays, teachers were able to “adopt” a child. This entailed buying them something on their list. I was given whether it was a male or female, their age, their size and what they wanted. I chose 2 boys and had to buy a Jets sweatshirt and a baseball glove. I remember my parents asking why I chose 2 kids instead of one. I explained to them that I grew up getting whatever I asked for. I never had to worry about not having something because they were able to provide me with it. If the least I can do is buy a child his sweatshirt and baseball glove for the holidays, I would do that. This continued into my current district and adopting a family to provide a food bag for the holidays and through breaks and the summer. Although, they don’t know who is sending it, I feel good knowing I am making a difference. I also began practicing random acts of kindness with my students and the response from other members of the staff has been tremendous. Although I have many materialistic passions, I’d have to say that being able to give back surpasses all of those things.

3 thoughts on “My Passions

1. Pam Jacobson Post author

I had my independent living class participate in Random Acts of Kindness. They wrote cards to teachers who have influenced them and thanked them for all they do and they made cupcakes. No one really knew who did it, until they snooped around, but I got a lot of great feedback from the faculty. One staff member emailed me saying how it completely made her day receiving a card from a student who barely even shows up to class. It was just a nice gesture and hopefully it teaches them to be selfless in the future too.

2. sgulisano

Your random acts of kindness projects are very noble and I believe that if more people took the initiative to support small causes in lieu of buying gifts for themselves we could take this idea to a whole new level. Excellent!